View Single Post
Old 07-04-05, 10:55 PM
MHR
IM140.6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp! IMHO HED wheels do not have the same quality level, also Zipp are the most used wheel at IM Hawaii - so given the choice the "best of the best" at the World Championships choose Zipp.
Clinchers are easier to use for those just getting into Tri's, although tubulars are faster and lighter in weight. One thing to consider the deeper the dish on the front the harder it will be to handle the bike when the winds kick up - thus the attraction to a Tri-spoke wheel in the front and the reason Lance rides a Tri-spoke in the front.
Although Zipp claims that the 808 is equal to or better than a Tri-spoke in the front and very close to pure "Disk performance" without the handling issues.
I have 2-sets of 404's (clincher) for both of my Tri bikes and used them in Hawaii at Ironman. But when it comes to all out speed in a TT or in a Tri with light winds I use my Zipp "Z-series 999's" (808 in the front, a disk in the rear and tubular in design). The deeper dish in the front allows for a damn fast ride but when a gust of wind comes up from the side.....hang on for a white knuckle ride and point the bike. Disk's are not allowed in Kona at Ironman for the simple reason many have been blowen over in the sometimes difficult winds. Many in Kona will ride a 303 in the front and a 404 in the rear for increased handling.
If you are trying to save $$$ you may just upgrade to a higher quality road wheel
(pssssst) I have a set of Bontrager Race-X wheels (Never used or ridden) that came on my "Madone 5.9" 4-sale...you may look for a deal like that as they will be 1/2 the price of a set of Zipp wheels. A set of Zipp 404's will go for about $1350.00 or so new.

Last edited by MHR; 07-05-05 at 11:11 PM.