View Single Post
Old 09-27-11, 03:24 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
You are so far ahead of the game, I can't even tell you. The typical CX newbie is an out-of-shape 45-year-old wondering if he can race on his 8-year old CX/Commuter bike (but he does like beer).
Fixed that for me!
============================

First, as has been said and will surely be said again, just go enter a race and have fun. Bring a spare lung along just in case; I know I wish I had done that.

Second, good idea to go watch a race first. Hang out at the technical sections and watch how people handle barriers, run-ups, dismounts/remounts. Then find some place to practice what you saw. I surprised myself that these things were not as difficult to perform as I thought they would be, but without a little practice I am sure I would have crashed out.

Third, check your local area to see if any stores, clubs or race organizers hold clinics. I know of a couple in my area (but unfortunately work has kept me from attending).

Four, read the "tips of Newbies" that Andy_K mentioned. Also check YouTube for "how to" videos on the technical aspects.

Five, see picture below: