Old 09-28-11, 01:20 AM
amckimmey

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Riding
I ran into the same thing when I went to replace the chain on my LHT. The original chain was a SRAM PC-971, so I just picked up another. After I installed it, I discovered the "missing links". I didn't think 2 links would make much of a difference, but it was definitely too short in some of the gear combinations if you weren't paying attention.

I called SRAM and asked if they had the PC-971 with 116 links. They said no, but I could buy two chains and connect them if I wanted the extra links.....

I later took the chain off and put it on a friend's bike. The chain on the LHT now is a Shimano CN-7701 with 116 links, and a SRAM Powerlink. I've also used Wipperman Connex links with that same model chain on another bike. Both the SRAM and Wipperman links seem to work fine on the Shimano chain.

I guess for most bikes, 114 links is more than enough, but for the LHT you need to read the package and get the longer chain. I imagine at the factory where the LHT is assembled, they have the chain in bulk and just cut it to length.
It's nice to see that someone had they same thought which turned into the same problem as me. I had gotten the chain at whole sale so it's not a big loss probably sell it on Craigslist for the same price. I well probably get the same Shimano CN-7701 chain sense it seems its fine with your LHT setup. The bike has almost 3000 miles on it and no wear in the drive train really.