View Single Post
Old 09-28-11, 08:26 AM
mikezs
Noob

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009, Ridgeback Nemesis (Afine 8) 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
How long does a chain last
Two main types of motorbike chain nowadays:
O-Ring, classic type of chain with the rubber o-rings people use and love all the time
X-Ring, similar to o-ring, but the cross section of it is an X. This helps keep lube inside the chain and as a result makes the chain last about twice as long for a small extra amount ($15ish)

O-ring (if properly lubricated and cared for during life) lasts around (on average) 20,000 miles, X-ring around 40,000 miles (less than most bikes have done if you splash out for a fancy chain, so this is frequently debated)

There's not so much of a "when it stretches 1/8 of an inch or 3mm you've used x% of it's life) with bike chains, but when they get to the end of their life they suddenly stretch a large amount (before they snap, see below). There's a wear indicator on the adjuster on the swing-arm which also helps with rear wheel alignment.

how much cleaning/lubing do they require
Normally you lube the chain every 500 miles with either wax or PTFE based lubricant (I use motorbike lube on my bike chains) and should be degreased and properly cleaned every 2000 miles, according to manufacturer guidelines.

There's very big warnings about having the bike not running while cleaning the chain. If you get your fingers caught while the engine is turning over they will get cut off. It's happened MANY times to people!

how much do they cost
A lot more than cycle chains! The last one I bought cost about £75, which is around $120.

etc., etc.?
Some have similar "power links" like on bicycles, but most sports bike chains have rivet links that have to be broken or cur off with an angle grinder when replacing. You also don't buy a length of chain and shorten it, you normally buy one with exactly the right amount of links.

There's no tensioner (like a derailer) on a motorbike so you have to watch for chain slackening and move the back axel like on a single speed bike.

I've had an o-ring chain snap before (at 22,000 miles) when I was travelling (very) fast and it simply rolled off. I've heard of people who have lost limbs because the chains can snap just after the rear (always large ~40 teeth) sprocket. The chain whips round and can damage the engine and cause big damage to the bike and rider.

I think this is mostly representative of motorcyclists (in the UK anyway), but it could just be my opinion on everything!

Any more questions?