Thread: Aelle tubing
View Single Post
Old 09-28-11, 04:21 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayJay
Aelle main triangle is 0.8mm strait gauge (unbutted) CrMo. A frame made from Aelle will be almost 1 pound heavier than an equivalent frame made from SL and despite that extra weight the Aelle frame will be weaker at the ends of the tubes (where the strength is needed) than a frame made from butted tubing which usually has slightly thicker ends.
Heavier? Yes. Weaker? Not necessarily. It is almost certain that the middle of butted tubes will be thinner than the middle Aelle, but the ends of both tubesets will almost certainly be the same.

Aelle was intended to be for "entry level" perfromance road bikes. I also believe (but am not sure) that Aelle is seamed, not seamless like 531, SL, SLX, etc. This is a less expensive way to make tubing. All else being equal (meaning the same builder making two frames of the same dimensions, one with Aelle and one with, say, SL), the Aelle frame will be less expensive and will weigh more. Will they ride the same? Probably prety close, but not identical. My guess is that the Aelle frame would feel a little less lively compared to SL or 531 or other quality butted tubing of similar vintage.