chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shawmutt
Jeez, I haven't been here long at all, but this topic has been discussed ad nauseum! Playing devil's advocate here--why is it so important to argue about this over and over again? No one is changing anyone's mind. No one is really introducing anything new. There are much more effective ways to stand for a cause, and internet forums have to be the most ineffective way.

Why not just wear them or not wear them and be done with it?
That would be the majority opinion...live and let die. But there are people who feel the need to evangelize for everyone to wear helmets...and allegedly people who feel the need to evangelize for everyone not to wear helmets (though the latter seems to be a mythical beast).

You also have your <words we shalt not type> who feel the need to denigrate those who choose not to wear helmets, calling them <words we shalt not type>, Darwin candidates and such, either because they need to feel superior to overcome their insecurities, or as a method of peer pressure to force others share their misery.

I think the point of this thread is to hopefully discuss the advantages and disadvantages of bicycle helmets so that people can make an informed personal choice...without the noise of the <words we shalt not type>. If we don't have <words we shalt not type>, I personally won't have a lot to say, since I don't have any need or desire to change anyone's mind...but can't resist picking on <words we shalt not type>.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 09-29-11 at 05:43 AM.