View Single Post
Old 09-29-11, 06:26 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I didn't realize adjusting cantis was so finicky. I guess I just got lucky the first time.
They're finicky, but only troublesome if you take them too seriously. I always kinda worked backwards: First get the pads to contact the rim evenly, then set the cable so you get the proper feel at the levers. Once those two are done (and you've got a workable, safe bike at that point) THEN you start worrying about the minutiae of having the pad shafts angled properly, and insuring the pads go thru their arc without ever touching the sidewall in the slightest (more a problem on a mtb than a 'crosser, tourer or hybrid). Make your adjustments in small increments, going from one side to the other.

Once you've done a dozen or so sets, it all becomes natural and permanently ingrained in your fingers.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)