View Single Post
Old 09-30-11, 03:07 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's understandable that Wiggo is conflicted about next year. He's a multiple world champion and gold medallist on the track, and the GB team would certainly like him in the team pursuit. He believes he can win the TdF. I disagree, but he has a point. He's in year three of a long-term project to adapt his physique to GT racing, and may still have potential to improve. As for his climbing, the TdF doesn't generally include the ridculous gradients one sees on the Zoncolan and the Angliru and very few people can put much time into him on the more gradual alpine climbs. So while I might be sceptical, you can see why he would be ambitious; and it is very difficult to deny that he has a good shot at the podium.

As for the relationship with Cav, it broke down for a while after the last Olympics when Cav thought Wiggo let him down in the Madison. But on the evidence of the World's it seems to be back in good repair. I've rarely seen a top rider bury himself as effectively for a teammate as Wiggo did that day. So I don't think he's trying to get into Cav's head or manipulate the situation, I think he is genuinely torn, wants to do everything, and is trying to persuade himself that it's possible.

As for Sky's team selection for next year's TdF, it's going to be interesting. Wiggins, Cavendish, Boasson Hagen, Thomas, Froome, Porte, Eisel(?), and who else? Stannard? Flecha? I guess you could have Thomas, Eisel, Porte, Stannard and EBH looking after Cav on the sprint stages, EBH going for stage wins on the lumpier sections, Froome and Wiggins looking after one another in the mountains, and every man for himself in the ITT. Or you could try to accommodate Froome's new-found ambitions by splitting the team and targeting the Giro for him. They have a phenomenal squad, anyway, lots of decent riders in addition to those I have mentioned.