View Single Post
Old 09-30-11, 08:01 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Right, any Dunlop rims at all will be tricky. Special Lightweights are chromed steel, and not hooked; nice rims, but not even I would pretend they have any advantage; I mention them only because they are the correct original rim for this bike.

I would go for Campy Nuovo Tipo large flange hubs before Normandy, unless you can find the old Normandy hubs with eight round (rather than six kidney shaped) windows in the flange.

The freewheel on my Lenton Grand Prix was pretty worn out, so I used a 14-28 five speed freewheel. As Syke mentioned, there's no way to use all five cogs, so I set it so it wouldn't go into the 14. I found the 16-28 range much more useful than the 14-20 range. They Cyclo derailleur is not supposed to work with a 28T cog, but I had no trouble with that.
Actually, the bike came with the 40 spoke, 8 round hole Normandy on the rear with an alloy rim. Pulled the wheel apart, cleaned up the components and put them on the shelf for the moment. I may rebuild it, and put it back on the bike.

The brakes are the original (I think) Weinmann sidepulls. As I received the bike, it had wrong wheels, was missing the rear derailleur, but otherwise appeared to be complete with the original remaining components.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)