Old 10-02-11, 01:19 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Post First 40 mile ride! Cold, windy, and FUN! (very long)

Yesterday (Saturday) a large group of people got together at Xenia Station, in Xenia, OH. This place is the intersection of like four different MUPs, all paved, and lots of miles!

As I live about 190 miles away, rather than get up at 4M, and drive there, I elected to drive in on Friday and 'car-camp' Friday night (note: have not car-camped since the 80s).

Another couple that are real slow like me also came in on Friday from IN. So, first we met at the Station bout 4PM and did a 12 mile 'warm-up' ride on another MUP going north - LOL - got rained on for 10 minutes, and of course, got back after dark. Much fun, just rolling along (on our trikes), chatting, and looking at the scenery. There is no way I could have walked any of this, but on the trike, no worries about balance, or wondering how long I can sit on a 2X4-type seat.

Then I drove bout 30 miles to the KOA I was camping at. Hehe, took me like 55 minutes to get my fire started, get my trike out of the back of my Tucson and staked under a tarp for the night. Had my own little weenie roast, then bout midnight got ready for bed.

Speaking of car-camping, I found that a 1/2 inch foam pad did not quite do the job for me.

Anyhow, got up before sunrise - ACK! Got the Tucson all loaded up and drove to Xenia Station. By the time I got my Rover out, and put on all my various layers of clothing, most of the folks had showed up. A couple of DFs, two velomobiles, and the rest trikes of every type. Total head-count was about 28 people! The main group was planning to ride at speeds of 10-15mph. I and two others ride at 5-7mph, and we created a small group of seven people that decided to go our own speed and just enjoy the scenery as we rode. We seven left bout 10 minutes after the main group, and the main group started passing us on their way back while we were still about 5-8 miles from the turn-around point.

At the turn-around point (Oregonia) was a great little cafe called the "Little River Cafe" - great food choices, and very nice inside! We took bout a 40 minute break then saddled up for the trip back. No fl@ts, or other issues, and it never did rain on us, but got rather cold.

Myself and one other started having speed issues bout 5 miles from the end, muscle soreness, etc - so the other five continued on and two of us limped in at 2-3mph (luckily, I had my lights). For four of us, it was our longest ride, and my 3 month old hip was just starting to get creaky at the last few miles.

Temps ranged from a low of 41 to a high of 54, with winds at 10-20mph the entire day.

True, I am paying for it today, but it was well worth the achievement. More photos can be seen at http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...20Album/Rides/.

Last edited by Peter_C; 10-02-11 at 01:22 PM.