View Single Post
Old 10-03-11, 07:03 PM
sharpsandflatts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Alpenrose race report:

This was my first cross race (first bike race of any kind actually). I rode out to the course from SE portland and arrived plenty early enough to get registered and do a couple practice laps before the start. I benefited from a good call-up (3rd out of 10) and took my place on the line. I was feeling very nervous and unprepared at that point.

Once the race started my nerves calmed down. I got off to a pretty good start and was able to find a good steady rhythm. On the first lap, I made it through that steep descent cleanly which perhaps led to some hubris the second time around where I had a pretty spectacular wipeout that required a trip to the pit to adjust my handlebars which had gotten knocked out of alignment. The remaining 2 times I took it real slow so as to ensure that I remained upright. Also at some point in the 2nd or 3rd lap, I pulled on my rear brake lever so hard that it pulled the cable through the brake a bit, dramatically reducing my braking power for the remainder of the race.

The night before the race I decided on a wild hair that I wanted to ride a SS so as to cut down on possible mistakes or mechanical issues. I'm glad that I did. It made it much easier to only have the 2 options: pedal or run. I was geared at 39x19 which might have been a tad low as I found myself spinning out on the flats.

All in all I am pleased with how the race went. I felt I did a good job of anticipating when I needed to run rather than trying to go up a hill, bogging down and wasting energy to get off the bike, which I saw many people do over the course of the race. I think I could have attacked more as I felt a bit timid at points. Oh well, it's a lesson for next time. I finished 42 out of 126 with 7 DNF's in the Beginner field and am totally hooked on cross!

Here's a picture of me exhibiting poor shouldering technique!