Old 10-07-11, 06:55 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
OK we've had plenty of eye candy, now let's see your C&V bikes that work for a living

All my bikes (exclusively C&V BTW) are in regular rotation for commuting and/or shopping duty and/or just plain going out for social occasions. In my life I haven't found much room or the need lately for going on a bike ride for its own sake. One exception is when my expected commuting miles fall short due to weather or other factors, then I'll do some catch up riding purely for exercise on the weekend.
Anyway, for me, my bikes are utilitarian appliances that I happen to enjoy, admire, and cherish as fine examples of refined machinery. But they are all required to work for a living, so while I ensure that they are always mechanically top-notch when being ridden, I don't spend a lot of effort trying to make them into museum pieces visually. With that preamble, here are my working C&V bikes, in the order that I acquired them.

78 Motobecane Grand Jubilé - owned since new, my favorite ride for those occasional exercise runs

89 Peugeot Versailles - acquired 2009 to relieve GJ from the brunt of commuting duties

82 Univega Viva Touring - acquired 2010 as bare frame & fork, to assume the role of beater for sloppy weather riding, hauling heavy loads, and being left locked up/unattended in town

Cilo touring bike, unknown year, 531DB frame, total Frankenbike - unanticipated acquisition 2010, one of those CL finds, dontcha know? Built up with iconic 70's European components to satisify yearnings I developed as a teenager, heretofore unrealized. Very nice ride, second only to Versailles in cumulative commuting miles this year.

Looking forward to what my fellow C&Vers have to post on the topic of working C&V bikes. I'm fully expecting to see a slew of bikes from SixtyFiver, and several others.