Old 10-08-11, 05:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hothead286
What is the current preferred DA track hub? 7710? Has there been much innovation between the series?
The 7700 is a needle bearing which is smoother, but requires maintenance. The 7710 (NJS) is sealed and is still very smooth and maintenance free. NJS because they race in rain which isn't recommended for the needle bearing. It would require cleaning and repacking after getting wet.

Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore
Deat carleton, What are the Avg track tires? Im looking into new tires. and i have no clue where to start when it doesnt come down to puncture protection.
As far a clinchers go, the same mid to high end tires you see on road bikes work fine on the track. I say stick to the higher end of the spectrum. They are grippy.

Originally Posted by jimmytango
Hey Carleton, whatever happened to the boulder?
It's in my garage.

Originally Posted by prooftheory
Carleton, what is your speed on the track if you are producing 2000 watts?
Please clarify your question. Do you mean, what is my speed when one is at 2,000W or what max speed comes as a result of 2000W? Or something else?

Max wattage usually comes during a standing start effort and actually around 125M (give or take) into a standing start effort. But the max speed comes several seconds later as a result of the acceleration. Also, the Flying 200M produces the highest max speeds, but not as much wattage as the standing effort. This is because the standing effort has the benefit of requiring more torque. Power is a function of Cadence and Torque. You can get more power by increasing torque (how hard you press on the pedal), cadence (how fast you move the pedal), or both.