kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by climber7
hi guys - i don't have a power meter yet and don't have the funds for one at the moment. however, i'd like to get one in the future, and as i was thinking about it, i got curious...

if you can only buy one, what's the best way to set it up? put a powertap on a training wheel and then either have to race with that or ditch it for races? put it on a race wheel and have to train with the race wheel? get crank-based and not be able to switch it to your TT bike (or to your road bike)?

if this has already been answered somewhere, sorry. thanks!
I dreamed of a quarq or srm (crank based) but ended up finding a PT pro+ laced to an open pro for 675.00 so I snatched it up. Personally I wouldn't want to continue investing in power tap, because I'd hate to have a second power meter just for race wheels.

I think a SRM is the "gold standard" so most would buy that one if they had the cash... but its effin expensive.

Personally I'd see where this goes
http://sites.garmin.com/vector/#power
If it gets good reviews come spring it would be worth the purchase (imo). Durability is the big concern that comes to my mind, but I'm sure they have a good warranty.

edit: also I couldn't afford to train on a race wheel. One bad pothole on a group ride and I could find a crack in my carbon rim (although I've heard some are very durable). Plus I'd like to have tubulars for racing. Don't have "race wheels" yet as you probably can tell. They are pretty far down on my list of things to buy.

Last edited by kindablue; 10-10-11 at 08:43 PM.