Old 10-12-11, 05:05 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Yes. A few years back there was a dead possum on the Bike Route (to Bayville, on Long Islands North Shore)and it absolutely stank. You couldn't breathe. Made my eyes water, and the flies were horrendous .

Anyway, I got around to clearing weeds from a Bike Lane on Saturday, and finished the job yesterday (tuesday) and managed to flag down a Glen Cove Beautification pickup truck, to ask about having the piles of weeds hauled away. It was too much for his small pickup, he said he would call someone at a city office and have a bigger full size pickup haul away the weeds. I made three piles, each three feet high.
The weeds in this case were the bushy kind, and they branched out and covered 125% of the bike lane. the whole area between the curb and the fog line, including the zebra stripes, and completely obscuring the fog line from view.
I used hedge trimmers; did not pull them up. Didn't want the dirt from the roots getting in my sandals. I thought I was going to die from over exertion, but I drank all my water and went home. Sunday and monday were hot~ 85 degrees F, and Monday was a holiday (Columbus day) so the city trucks wouldn't be available neither those two days . Sorry, No pictures. I have to wonder if it's worth photographing piles of dead weeds, I have better stuff I can fill my album with. But like I said, it was too much for a small pickup truck , and a full size pickup had to be called in, picture it in your mind.