Old 10-13-11, 07:30 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Rider
I'm enjoying reading about what y'all are doing for training for the "off" season. My question is, if you race road and 'cross, when is your off season?
Good luck in your run Red Rider. Careful that you don't stress the legs due to your cycling benefits. A local guy who I cycle with did a few tri's this summer and celebrated his success by running the Akron Marathon in Sept. I just read on Facebook that he is getting a hip replaced.

My cycling training starts in December and peaks for July and August. The cyclo cross races and mtb races I'm doing now are just for fun and that has been my approach this year. I'm on a break from organized training during Oct and Nov but will do a few 15 minute Z4 intervals on the cross course every other week just to keep a little edge for as long as I’m racing. Cross races are only 40 minutes and mtb races are mostly 2+ hr endurance riding. Most of my rides now are with friends or on the mtb trails. Days are shorter and rains are more frequent so I'm even skipping a few rides. Because of my fused ankle cycling is my only venue to maintain aerobic fitness other than the Concept 2 machine in the basement, which I will morph into in November when I’ll also begin core/resistance work.