Old 10-14-11, 06:11 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by neurocop
A couple of comments on the bike...the fork/crown doesn't have stickers and really doesn't look Reynolds...the Reynolds frame sticker is on the downtube, which indicates production after 1973...the rear stays aren't chromed...the lugs are "fancy" not plain Nervex, indicating a probable 1973 date for the bike (after 1974/5 PX10LE's had plain lugs), and the crank looks more like a SL 49D than a 93, so this is probably not a PX10.

As to the frame sticker...the tubes probably are lugged Reynolds DB rather than straight guage. You could easily distinguish the two types by tapping the frame tubes with a metal rod or coin...DB tubes will give a higher pitched ring at the center (thinner tube) and lower pitched ring at the ends (thicker tube there). Regarding how to test the rear stays, thats difficult, but if they are chromed it's almost certain they are Reynolds 531. If they are painted, it's harder to say. You could take everything off the frame and weigh it. "Full 531" frames will weigh about 1/2 pound less than 3 tube 531 frames with high-tensile stays, but that's nit picking.

This bike seems to be a higher end Peug, but not a PX10 for the purists, mainly because the fork and crank ain't right, and the rear stays are painted. It's worth fixing up, I think, but has been terribly neglected.
I'm not sure where to start......

Forks: PX10 were avaialbe with nervex and non-Nervex crowned forks. There seems to be no pattern.

Fork decal: Without perusing all the pics on my HD I'd say the early PX10 from the 50's and early 60's didnt have them, late 60's through the mid 70's did, late 70's through 80's did but alot depended on decal scheme.

Chrome stays: By '78 or so they were being phased in Europe. Many Px's have painted stays.

Lugs: PX's were simultaneously available with both fancy and regulsr cut lugs. The OP's bike does NOT have fancy Nervex lugs.

DT Reynolds decal: The decal was moved to the DT for '74 but that location is primarily used to ID early 70's bikes. I haven't seen ST Reynods decals on later bikes but the placement for bikes after '74 isn't written in stone.

Date: NO way is that bike a '73....late 70's. The OP needs to check component date codes.

http://cyclespeugeot.com/SerialNumbers.html
http://cyclespeugeot.com/PX10ID.html