Sgt Mac
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Amazing. Your accident happened on the exact same day mine did... July 12th... and I was/am in much the same boat as you, except I only had my left leg reconstructed. I started riding on a trainer, and when I first got on, I couldn't even bend my knee enough to do a complete rotation of the pedals. I just sat there and moved my legs backwards and forwards a little every day until I could get it all the way around. Three months later, and I can now walk and climb stairs without crutches, I can ride the trainer for more than an hour, but I still haven't ridden the bike on the street. Part of my hesitation is that I promised my wife and kids I would wait until I was cleared for physical activity by the doctor, hopefully in early December. I don't know if I will ever get 100% of my leg strength back, but I'm getting better every day. I'm sure you will do the same! It's just a matter of time, healing, and keeping at it.

My wife looked at me today and said "There's no way you're going to make it to December without riding, is there?" She's a smart woman...
When I sustained my injuries I was in traction and had a halo screwed into my head, basically flat on my back for six months. My question is did you guys have to go on the table where they slowly raise your head until just before you pass out, & each day they raise you a little more until your almost in a standing position. I hated that almost as much as the surgeries, I never knew that your heart could atrophy so much in six months.