Old 10-15-11, 03:28 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Do you wear one while driving your car? Exactly the same argument applies. Or when walking around? Ditto.

If you engage in any activity long enough you will die while doing it. That doesn't mean it requires protective clothing. If we try to eliminate all the tiny risks we run, our time will be less enjoyable and our health almost certainly worse than had we simply got on with being active, risk-taking people. One person in a thousand will avoid a severe head injury while the rest of us live shorter, less healthy, more miserable lives.

And that is without even considering the fact that evidence suggests that helmets don't make much difference to whether cyclists get hurt or not...
No, the car has airbags. You've assumed there is a HUGE cost to eliminate this risk, there just isn't. We eliminate small risks in this society all the time, they are the EASY ones to fix. Wearing a helmet is EASY and it eliminates certain types of injury. Wearing a helmet does NOT make you miserable. If anything the misers are you anti-helmet guys who've never crashed hard or just got **** lucky.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yeah, sure! Based on your simple minded posts on this thread about bicycling risk and helmets I trust that your posts on the subject can be dismissed as know-nothing nonsense.
Indeed, a know it all like you can easily dismiss anything they so wish. Fortunately or perhaps not, reality will barge in on your party. Either way i wish you continued luck.

Originally Posted by closetbiker
and I suppose if I told you you couldn't drive your car to Tokyo from Vancouver you'd say I'm anti-car as well?

It's at least as important to understand the limits of something as it is to understand what it is that the thing can do.
What does this mean... nothing. So there are limits to helmets? BIG DEAL. Nobody is saying they'll stop bullets or a speeding freight train, but that doesn't mean they're worthless. You didn't answer my question about how much you value feeling the top of your head... Isn't it ironic that once you can't feel it after a crash you'll probably decide it's worthwhile to wear a helmet. Experience is like that and until you have some real experience i don't care about your selective studies and anti-nanny state poppycock you fop!

Originally Posted by Six jours
Once again I note that the ferocity of the helmeteer is often inversely proportional to his bike handling ability: "I crash all the time so you need to put on a helmet".
You know, you'd think you be smart enough to take the advice of somebody who has taken a few tumbles about where protection counts. Frankly i've got more experiences than you on the matter, but you're a PRO right. A pro who has never had his nose bloodied... that is how you people can sit there going on about how helmets don't work, helmets are unfair, you don't want to clean up your room. Laughable.