View Single Post
Old 10-17-11, 08:29 AM
closetbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
I wonder if electrik wants to address my points about how the scalp functions, and the citations provided that helmets mitigate this effect and so actually may make rotational injury (believed to be a big cause of brain damage) worse, or whether he'd rather continue in pretending evidence against his position doesn't exist so he won't feel like a fool. I wonder if electrik disputes this position, if he can explain why they are trying to copy this scalp design in future helmets?
I'd bet electrik is ignoring it because he doesn't understand it and doesn't want to try to understand it because if he did, he would realize just how foolish he's been (then again, maybe he can't understand it - it's beyond his capacity to understand)

Originally Posted by chasm54
..I haven't said that helmets cause injury, though in some circumstances it must be possible...
I haven't said they do either (except in certain circumstances), although I have pointed out that when large groups of people wear them, head injuries to those large groups haven't had a corresponding drop. I suspect one of the reasons for this is that the types of injuries helmets prevent are minor in nature and not often recorded, thus the lack of a recorded drop in injuries with helmet use, but I also think the main culprit for this lack of corresponding drop in injuries with helmet use, is that helmets have become the focus of cycling safety rather than responsible use of the road

Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
...cycling courses are one thing that can prevent head injury. I'd much rather promote "safe cycling" courses to people than simply handing them a useless accessory and letting them "take a stab at it".
so would I, and this leads into another link to a FAQ page that says

the helmet debate has little to do with safety... If the dicussion were about bicycle safety then we would be discussing how we can get the cycling public to adopt the most effective and proven method of preventing injuries i.e. responsible behaviour and application of skills when cycling.

electrik and his ilk don't care about safety, they just care about helmets

Last edited by closetbiker; 10-17-11 at 12:07 PM.