View Single Post
Old 10-21-11, 11:35 PM
Bethany

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. That's the site I used. Once I figured out the alignment from his directions the only problem I had was keeping the tension right and the points meeting as you lay the tape next to each other. As a quilter, it's the same as doing a block "on point" so the tape meets at a diagonal right angle to make the squares. To start I cut the tape at an angle on both pieces and laid the cut sides over each other to make the outside edge straight since you can't fold over gel tape. It makes an angle over the top of the bar and lets you wrap the same as how this guy did it. Keeping the outer edge straight and from unwrapping was my weakness and I just wrapped red electrical tape haphazardly figuring I could fix it later. You could probably use a chalk line on both the top and bottom of the bar as guide lines for where the diagonal points meet as you wrap. I didn't know how to end it neatly since it was my first time wrapping tape.

Once you figured out how to weave both tape colors over/under while keeping the tension from slipping, it was pretty easy. LBS guy said the tension wasn't strong enough when I took the bike in to finish up the ends though that's why I wondered what you guys thought.

Hopefully I make some sense.