View Single Post
Old 10-22-11, 11:50 PM
jmio

Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha, I ride with a buddy of mine regularly (on DF) and we aree pretty well matched up depending on the day. Somedays I whip him, some days he pulls me. But we can always hang with each other, we have never dropped one another. Well I had been having low back pain reoccuring from an old injury so I started looking at bents as a new ride. Once i mentioned it to him he started laughing at me, calling me old man, (i'm only 28) and saying they were ugly as sin. well I personally think they are bada## looking and think they just make sense. Aerodynamic, comfy, and awesome looking. Well I got to test ride a corsa for a day and decided i wanted to go riding with my buddy that thought of them as slow old man bikes.

Well we did our regular 40 mile ride, the first 10 I was still getting used to it, but found out quickly that I wasnt really pedaling hard and was moving at a good jaunt. My buddy on the other hand was breathing! breathing hard! I didn't have a computer on the bike so had no clue what the speed was but I was taking the lead the entire time (we usually switch off mile for mile, not this time), from miles 10-30 mile I pushed myself to the level I usually do on my df and finally after about 24 miles of good pacing i heard a faint voice.........HOLD UP, I had dropped my friend, he couldn't hang on any longer. i slowed down for him to catch up, and asked if he had a cramp or something, he was pissed, sweaty and panting! I was smiling, having a good time, not breathing hard at all, estimated 140 bpm. we pullled over at mile 31 and looked at his computer and we were averaging 25 mph for the 31 miles! no wonder he was dying, we usually only average around 21-22. He said when i had started to pull away he was going 27 and i was moving ahead without resistance. My legs were burin a bit, but I wasn't gonna let him know that! ehehehe Needless to say, he has respect for bents, but still says he wouldn't be caught dead on one. weirdo!

I didn't end up getting the corsa because of unexpected financial changes, but that is all over with, I have bought an xstream and it will be here this week! can't wait to be comfy riding again, oh yeah and faster! point of my story, don't let other people influence your decisions, just whoop em! or if speed is not your thing, get off the bent after your long ride and say, "man that was fun and comfy, lets do it again" as all your friends backs, shoulders,neck,and taint are in pain!