View Single Post
Old 10-25-11, 10:36 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
I have a pair of 12V MR16 lights up front. 406 wheel and I mount the lights on top of a piece of angle iron just at the top of the headset. I point one almost horizontal but biased to the right so it centers more on the curb if I'm riding the fog line, and I point the other one straight ahead but biased downward so the beam center is about 15 feet in front of my eyes. No cutoff. No strobing or blinking on the front. Currently using 5W LED although I still kind of prefer 20W halogen.

On the back I have one of those rear window brake lights from a car, always on, mounted above rack level (559 wheel) about where my shoulders are, and on top of that an amber xenon strobe that runs at about 2 Hz.

I run all of them day or night. Battery size is 10 A-hr, but I think it really only makes 7 A-hr once we get into winter, and that's all I count on. Gives me about 3 hours plus, and my commute is 60-70 minutes each way in winter. I just plug in when I get home each night and unplug in the morning when I take off.