Old 10-25-11, 02:04 PM
Lindaosm

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Yep.... Had to go look up Ocklawaha Prairie Restoration area. Quite a bit of trails... And primitive camping (just have to con the 2 friends into going... haah). I wonder what the shelter is on the map?

Anyway.... Another place to ride to put on the list..

How did your knee hold up?

I went for a short ride the other day... Had 2 flats as a result... Doh!!
just saw your post on this. Hubby and I tried to find the primitive camping area when we were there but never found it. Didn't spend lots of time looking though as we were headed back with a leaky back tire. Knee is doing great! I swear though that 10 miles on the mountain bike feels like at least 20 on the road bike sometimes. I guess partly because my tire was low and it was harder to pedal.

This place is nice to ride but I will tell you that the map is a little deceiving. We headed to the right after we crossed the bridge (I think that would be north)and road the shellrock road on the top of the dike about 4.5 miles. That's where the shellrock ends. It then makes a turn to the left and goes over the river. Then it turns into grassy/sometimes wet/sometimes sandy area for at least another 7 miles and that was tough.(we rode the complete loop last year.) Hubby kept asking if I wanted to turn around but I thought we were more than half way and said no. (I regretted that later.) We finally got back to the dike shellrock road and I swear I was a bright shade of red.....and this was last winter!! I think we saw that the loop is about 13-14 miles but it sure felt longer on the other side. On Sunday when I was there I said to hubby "we should try again" and he just looked at me and laughed. Also, last year we saw a bobcat that was up on top of the dike. He saw us and took off...luckily. No other wildlife sightings though. Very scenic ride especially at this time of the year when the weather is nice.