View Single Post
Old 10-25-11, 06:39 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's weird, when I put this through the 4G double-talk translator...
Originally Posted by HokuLoa
Debatable but not the point. I brought my educational and professional experience into the thread as a response to the "incapable of understanding" nonsense being used to dismiss my position. It served the purpose of informing the respondent what an absurd assumption his assertion was given the fact that both my education and my life experience are rooted in both the theory and application of the topics discussed. What it comes down to is that my education provided the foundation knowledge, the statistical background, and the analytical expertise to look at this and related subjects objectively.

Am I open to error? Absolutely, and I am always happy to admit I'm wrong and learn. However, with both the education and decades of professional experience filled with anecdotal examples to back up the statistics I know to be true..., well I'm open to new data but it doesn't leave much room for argument. It is a basic difference between being truly objective versus subjective. So while yes I may be susceptible to error, I frankly am not "as susceptible as all of us" as you put it. That is kind of like saying a software engineer is as susceptible to error when discuss coding as is a lawyer. Sure as a generalization but definitely not when discussing their particular field.

Either way, I've re-realized the futility of debate in online forums. People are not required to be objective or rational so there really is little point in trying. People will do/believe what they feel is right. I wish them all the best...
...I get this--->
Originally Posted by DX-MAN

1. Education is not wisdom; neither is one man's, or one group's, life experiences the yardstick for all. Hoku, you need to dial it back a touch. Your background may well be full of deep experiences of life, but you're as susceptible to error as all of us.