SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Passing Allowed!

Have you ever been cycling along when suddenly, you're passed by another cyclist?

Have you ever felt a slight resentment towards that other cyclist, having the nerve to pass you, of all people?

Well that's how I've often felt in the past! I noticed the same phenomenon, when driving. At first, I thought it was just me. Then I noticed the same behavior and reactions with other cyclists and drivers many years ago. Someone of note, reminded me of this phenomenon when responding to a post in the commuting forum.

What is it with us humans, objecting to being passed by other vehicles?

I'll just bet cha that it wouldn't make any difference to us at all, if the vehicles passing us, were driven or ridden by robots. We might even find it kinda humorous, if we knew that the vehicle that just passed us, was operated by a darned robot! The fact that they're human-driven, makes all the difference in the world! We don't find anything funny, comical, or in the least bit entertaining about being passed up by other vehicles containing humans....So, what's the problem with us?...What's really going on between our ears that sparks this feeling of resentment?

It sort of reminds me of the feeling you get when somebody sponges ahead of you in a line. I wonder if that feeling is more prevalent in males and is therefore, more testosterone-driven, or does it transcend gender?

I think much road rage is a direct result of this phenomenon. To me, it used to always feel like it was just a couple notches below being cut-off when driving. Perhaps there should be a new law for all vehicles..."No Passing Allowed"...

On second thought, that probably would just make matters worse! I don't know?

Sometimes, I just wish we were wired differently.....

You ever get this feeling of resentment for cyclists passing you up?

- Slim

PS.

Now that I'm older, I don't seem to care much about folks passing me up anymore. In fact, I kinda want 'em to hurry up and just get outta my area, so I'm not obliged to think about 'em anymore...

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-27-11 at 05:07 PM.