chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
I guess that would depend on what a person's riding involves. I wonder how many people who don't wear helmets are the types who also descend regularly at speeds ranging in the high 50s to low 60s (mph), and under what circumstances. Does anyone against helmets for cycling, feel they are not necessary in a criterium race?
Race car drivers wear helmets when racing, but not when driving to-from the track, or church or dinner, etc. Same applies to many cyclists like me - I'll wear a helmet in a crit or road race, but not when riding to work or the store or doing the tourist thing.

But some feel the risk of "normal" recreational/utility riding warrants a helmet as well...great, I support their decision to do so, as long as they support my decision not to and don't start in with all this darwin organ donor BS.

I am not "against" helmets for cycling or anything else...I just don't feel the need to wear one myself in most situations.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 10-28-11 at 06:47 AM.