View Single Post
Old 10-29-11, 12:24 AM
junkyardking
Beer

Bikes: 2010 Motebecane Track, 2010 Novara Randonee, 1984 Bridgestone 600, 198? Bianchi Columbus custom build, 196? Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alternatives to drop bars

I'll be ordering a new SSCX frame in the next few days. My intentions with it vary from racing to singletrack to rainy winter commuting. Every build needs bars, and after riding standard drops for years, I like to try something new whenever I do a build.

I've been looking at the On-One Midge flared drops. Still drops, but not as shallow. Still flared, but not quite mustachioed. Some folks have said that the position of the hands in the drops and hoods is closer to how your hands/wrists are when they're at rest.

My main bike and track (not tarck) bike have standard road drops, and my distance bike has mustache bars. These look like a good medium.

Does anyone have any strong opinions about flared drops? Are they uncomfortable in the hoods? Is handling compromised when riding off-road? Hated? Loved? Whatever experience any of you have with them, I'd love to hear about it. Also, if any of you have other suggestions of alt bar set ups, then I'd love to hear about those too. Especially if you race them.

Thanks.

Last edited by junkyardking; 10-29-11 at 12:29 AM.