Thread: Cyclecomputer
View Single Post
Old 10-30-11, 03:45 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silmarillion
Well, it forces me to keep my ride on, and not to sandbag. When I sluff off, I can see it in the data. I'm a geek, so when I see the data before me, it's kinda like a motivation tool...(for me anyway...)
That's a good point.

Uh-huh. The speedo just let's me see just how fast I can do the big downhill, and how slow I get as I climb up the grade on the other side. The clock lets me see how late for work I'm going to be. Fortunately, my boss is really cool and likes the fact that I ride to work. He thinks it's pretty cool, but I can't talk him into riding with me....(mainly because I guess I would be too quick for him and I begin at 6:00am)

True, the same can be said for climbing the steep bridges that we have and seeing how fast we can get going.[/quote]

Ah no brother, I didn't mean to mislead you. My HRM came with software that I can run locally. I agree, it's my stuff, and I don't share it with anyone except the guys I ride with, and my friend who helps me train. (and tells me I never eat enough..)
Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up. We share enough information as it is, the only way we'll retain any privacy in the coming decades is by being able to pick and choose what we will and will not share. And sadly (hopefully in the FAR off future) I can see a day when we're not given a choice in what we will share. It'll all be in the "cloud" for "everyone" to access whenever they want.

Agreed. Like I said, I don't upload anything to a website, but I think you can if you want. My HRM is a Polar S725X. Only thing I dislike about it is that it doesn't currently work with 64x Win7. Polar says at this point they don't think they will upgrade the software... even though some people have been able to get their IR interface to work somehow. I've tried to do what they have done but I still can't get the IR to even function for some reason. I still need to do more research on it.
That's good, see above. What was their reason for not wanting to issue an upgrade to the software?

BTW Cowboy,

You know I love riding in the Tampa/St.Pete area. I have done a century down there with my Bacchetta buddies. And a few years ago, they hosted a big what-to-do party/ride down there. Even though we didn't ride much of the S.Park...(Desoto? is that it?) We rode through a small section of it while on the century. Gotta admit. I love those flat fast centuries on a recumbent bike!
Not too long ago I ran into a couple who were riding a couple of Bacchetta's and they weren't the usual Bent, they were more of a regular "upright" style frame bike. Very cool looking. I haven't done a century yet, does it count if one runs a century solo? And yes, I can see how Florida's natural flatness can lead itself to being conductive to running a century.

Ft. DeSoto is a very lovely place, sadly I haven't been out there recently. I need to though one of these days.