View Single Post
Old 11-01-11, 09:51 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Road rage DOES occur motorist to motorist, so indeed the problem is NOT specific to cyclists... just yesterday I drove to work and encountered motorists who wholly disregarded my turn signals and attempted to cut me off before I could change lanes... now of course I am driving a wide cage, and I am already ahead, so I just complete my lane change as long signaled. No doubt this may have caused consternation for that motorist... who apparently forgot to share (or recall that those in front of you have ROW).

So indeed rage on the road is not specific to cyclists... however we do get the verbal brunt of it, and since we are not in cages, we cyclists are vulnerable to aggressive motorists. Time and time I have said it, and I will continue to say it... getting a drivers license in the US is too easy and not nearly enough training is given. Rules change, new features are added, such as sharrows, and far too many motorists are poorly trained to begin with. Road use should be part of the public school curriculum... starting with proper bicycle use and the rules of the road, and moving on to the laws and ethics of driving. Until motorists are properly trained, we will continue to have drivers that make up the rules as they go.

Not just motorists but cyclists as well. As witnessed by the number of cyclists who think that the law(s) do not or should not apply to them.