Old 11-02-11, 05:57 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It can be. But when it comes to whims and fancies affecting other people's plans...
<snip>
There is a matter of courtesy involved, and sometimes, through the comments made on this forum, there is a certain laissez-faire attitude portrayed by cycling tourists that doesn't resonate well with what might be considered common courtesy.
I've seen a wide range of courtesy and behavior when hosting people. My first experience was perfect. He arranged the day about a week in advance, called several times on the day of his arrival, and was a great guy.

I've had people ask for a place to stay and then email the day before saying they weren't on track with were they though they would be and wanted to stay the next day. Some have informed me they'll just be riding through my area and not stopping.

I had a couple on a honeymoon stay with us. All they wanted was a place to sleep. No food, laundry, or shower. They stayed outside to themselves most of the time.

Yes, sometimes it is an inconvenience to me and my family, but I feel good about helping other people when I can. Although if I had to pick between someone saying "I won't be stopping" or "Can we stay the next night?", I'd pick the "I won't be stopping". More often that not, the next night isn't as convenient for me, but I feel bad saying no after I already offered accommodations.

After my last couple of not so pleasant experiences, I wondered why I did it anymore. Then I decided I still wanted to help people out in whatever way I could, and hopefully meet some more interesting people along the way. Probably the most interesting couple I met was touring the country looking at sustainable communities to be a part of.