Old 11-04-11, 02:23 PM
NigelHealy

Bikes: 3 Bromptons, M2L-X, S6L-X/BWR. S6R/SRAM/Schlimpf, Novara Roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In case you're wondering why in all the shots the front pannier was open, I was taking camera out to take the photo and then repacking. Later photos I figured quicker to stuff camera at the bottom of the saddle pouch.

I rode til it became too steep and then pushed to the top of Wrynose Pass. I am very fit, I bike up my local California Kings Mountain road many days/week. The challenge only for this climb was the weight of the bike and my calves pushing all my body weight and the loaded bike weight up a very steep surface, on the steeper bits near the top I was beginning to feel my calves would not be able to keep going. But I've learned the weakest part of the human body is the brain so I ignored the thoughts and kept moving.

I had some comments, verbal and hand gestures from passing car drivers, all essentially questioning my sanity and/or giving encouragement.

I made it to the top.

The ride down to the west of Wrynose was easy, a short valley floor section and looming Hardknott Pass in front.

The actual height of ascent from Little Langdale up to Wrynose Pass is the harder physical effort, more total climb, but the Hardknot Pass is a winding path.

Plenty of "you crazy fool" signs

I pushed up the hill, it was easier than the Wrynose Pass, possibly the windy route was less steep under foot?

http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/NigelHealy/Brompton/Lakes%20Sept%2011/?action=view&current=DSCN4193.mp4 The view looking back from where I'd come as I ascended Hardknott Pass