SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Myth About the Cost of Steel

I read the newspaper, daily. I also read INTERNET news, daily. I love to surf the net and read about anything related to bicycles. I know. It's a problem. I'm slightly obcessive, but I'll get over it! Anyway, I enjoy visiting bicycle manufacturers websites. I enjoying reading about their lastest technological innovations, their relevant news articles, and I also enjoy marveling at their shiny new bicycles. Sometimes, I get lost!

At any rate, I can't help but to notice the prices of the bicycles on all of these websites. Rumor has it, that steel is more expensive than aluminum. Well, if we'd go by the supply and demand rule, you'd be right. However, that's just not the case!

I noticed that Trek features a steel-framed MTB called the Sawyer, it goes for $1500. Trek also sells a similarly equipped MTB called the X-Caliber, dressed in aluminum, and it goes for $1540. Trek features a steel framed single speed called the 820, it goes for $360. It's aluminum cousin, called the Trek 3500 goes for $420, though it does have an extra speed. It's an eight, whereas the 820 is a seven.

Raleigh features a steel framed road bike, called the Port Townsend. It's packing Sora and goes for $930. It's aluminum cousin, the Revenio 2, also packing Sora, goes for, guess what? That's right! It goes for $930, as well.

Also, there's Jamis. The steel-framed Satellite, goes for $700 and it's train is driven by Sora. Its aluminum cousin has the same Sora driver and it costs the same...$700! Jamis also offers a steel framed comfort bike that costs $350 and a steel commuter bike that costs $525.

Then there's Schwinn! It features an urban road bike dressed with 105's, called the Slicker, that comes in chromoly steel. It goes for $770. It's aluminum cousin, called the Fastback, also dressed with 105's, costs $1430.

Where in the world did some of us ever get the idea that steel costs more than aluminum?

Now, hold on. I know that's the way it should be since it costs much less to reproduce aluminum as a source material. However, it's apparent that those savings aren't passed on to the cyclist consumer.

Giant features the aluminum framed Defy and it costs $1370. It also features the aluminum Omnium that costs $1600. Additionally it has an aluminum model, called the Rapid, and it costs $1250. Finally, Giant carries the aluminum Seek, and it costs $1320.

Then there's Dorel's Cannondale models. All of Cannondale's Synapses cost over $1000. The Cannondale CAAD 10 models, all cost over $1600. We're not even going to discuss the Super Sixes!

I don't know...Maybe the world cyclist is being charged so much for aluminum, because it's such an awesome bicycle frame material!

What do you think?

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 11-06-11 at 06:38 PM.