View Single Post
Old 11-06-11, 07:43 PM
Mult47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love "urban" hiking, so during spring break I decided to walk the 7 miles to the university campus where I teach just to see how the walk was. After doing the walk, it ocurred to me that it would be an easy bicycle commute, this despite the fact that I had not been on a bicycle since I turned 16 (I'm now 61). So, in the spring I bought a department store hybrid, started riding over the summer and have been commuting daily for 3 months. Oh, I also sold my car because I decided that since I was going to take commuting seriously, I didn't need a car. My wife kept her car and lets me use it when biking isn't convenient, such as when I have late night classes followed by an early morning commute. The late night riding doesn't bother me as much as getting back on the bike after less than 8 hours rest. Heading into winter, I've done one very rainy ride and a couple of 30-35F rides. So far, so good. About a month ago, I bought a 1996 Trek road bike and now use that for my back up commuter and my fun weekend ride.