Old 11-07-11, 07:50 PM
gbg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I knew someone would bring it up.

I get lots of flat centuries are easy as 10,000 ft climbing centuries. Hm, there must be a reason 10,000 people register for a flat century and only 400 for a climbing century.

OK, half is downhill but guess what, if you don't make it to the top of the 60 mile 10,000 ft climb, you aint making it.

Not everybody can and there are a lot more that can do a flat century but not a climbing century.

2 hours to Baldy Village, 1 hour descent. If I send out an invitation in this forum to do the village with me how many do you think will accept or even respond to the invite?

If I send out an invite to do a 70 miler on the bike trail, guess how many will accept the invite?

Now compare answers and ask yourself why?

I've seen some posters in this forum claim they are prepping for a climbing century, how many have gone through with it? If I remember correctly, some dude claiming his new carbon bike and lite wheels were great for climbing but yet he backed out too.

Half is up and half is down, why do they back out, because it's tougher.

I can do a 40 mile flat ride in 2:10...it takes me 3:20 to do 40 with 5,000 feet of climbing. Are you telling me the 5000 feet was just as easy or fast?

I know guys that can do a 5 hour century yet it takes them 8 to do a century with 10,000 feet, hm wonder why?
Well I'm a flatlander so I don't get much climbing. But the wind is usually 15-20mph and many days the gusts can be well over 30.
I have seen 300+ watts on my powertap at <10mph.
Some gusts have almost stopped me in my tracks. Wind might not be as tough as hills but it is still a b****.
The problem with wind is it is always a headwind