View Single Post
Old 11-08-11, 01:59 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
to you maybe. To others some of these benefits can be anything but...
Which is better to mount reflective tape: helmet or your skin/hair? Maybe a reflective hat or headband? Can you think of non-helmet ways of dealing with this stuff you want on or around your head that would work as effectively? What about if you were combining a couple different things on your helmet?

as someone who wore a helmet through more than few winters, the first winter after I doffed the lid was far more warm and comfy than I could have possibly remembered (from before I started to wear one. Wearing a nice touque is a way better way of being a bit warmer in the winter
I wear a skullcap under my skate-style Giro Sector and am perfectly warm and toasty. Helmet acts as a nice wind-break. Fancy vented bike helmets would be of less utility this way.

A good mount to be sure, but what if that tape negates the protective qualities of the helmet?
Well then I suppose it's up to the consumer to decide. I bet there's no studies out there checking on the effects of wearing reflective tape on your helmet vs. not wearing a helmet at all. I got non-consumer product, SOLAS grade reflective tape on my helmet, and so far, no damage that I can discern.

I often thought the best use of my helmet was using it as a mount for lights, and I imagine using it for a camera or mirror would be a good use as well, BUT one has to be careful in the way they are mounted. They need proper breakaway systems or they can make an impact worse by driving the device through the helmet in an impact or causing the helmet to fail by splitting at the contact point
I believe I added a disclaimer in my description and modified these to "can use" rather than "excellent use" because of that. Certainly they could be a danger... if biking was inherently dangerous. Otherwise, styrofoam auxiliary equipment noggin mounting platform is an excellent perch for some safety accessories.

I.e. I'd rather not get hit in the first place, helped by reflective tape and a headlight on my helmet, than get in an accident which causes the protective capacity of my helmet to be tested because someone didn't see me.

style is a personal viewpoint. What looks good to someone, doesn't look good to someone else.
Certainly, but for many who adopt activity-specific gear, helmets are de rigueur costuming. And even consumers who think of helmets as "ugly" and "dorky" will submit to wearing one to be part of their cycling sub-species or local flock.

When I claim undisputed, I mean it. A regular mantra around here is that not getting in an accident is a lot more important regarding cycling safety, than wearing a helmet. Thing is, a helmet serving as a safety accessories mount can also do a lot for you to not get in an accident in the first place.