Old 11-09-11, 08:10 AM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john gault
In post #906 I was expressing my concern of giving people (who want cyclists off the road) a foot to stand on, i.e. more bike paths will give them a foundation to get us off the road. And it's not just that article that I copied in the above post. Check out this thread http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...if-path-exists

P.S. There is no such thing as a bike path, they're all MUPs, and if we're forced off the roads that means we're relegated to narrow paths in which we must bob&weave everyone, because pedestrians always have the right of way.
Okay, I guess that discussion had perhaps better be kept elsewhere. Suffice to say that what works is a matter of how you actually do things. Bike paths/tracks/whatever can work beautifully, or they may be almost impossible to use. The existence of crappy bike infrastructure certainly shouldn't in itself be enough to make one state that bikes belong in the (car) lanes. One cyclist will say that bikes belong in the road because that's safest and because it's our right as bikers to be there. Both statements are highly contestable, to say the least, and I think one would do right in recognizing this. Others will say that you'll never get a larger share of the potential cyclists to actually bike when they have to do so in often heavy and fast traffic.