Old 11-09-11, 11:38 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tony_merlino
I'm not sure of the demarcation points, but I've been driving less than 5000 miles per year since the early 2000s. (Does that qualify as car-light?) Going totally virtual at work two years ago helped a lot, but even before that, I worked from home 3 or more days a week. I'm now trying to cut that 5000 miles per year in half by using my bike for all trips of 10 miles or less that don't involve carting passengers (mostly my two teenagers) around. So the bike gets used for grocery shopping, going to the library, errands around town, riding down to Newark for the best fresh-baked Italian bread in the United States, ... :-)

I still use the car once or twice a month when I have to drive into the office (50 miles round trip), to schlep my kids around to activities or to/from their mom's with their stuff, and for social/musical activities that involve carting instruments and equipment. Also for trips that require hauling really heavy or unwieldy items. Some of the schemes I've seen posted here and on Utility for carrying the uncarryable are inspirational.
Welcome to the forum,Tony. I've been enjoying your posts even when I don't agree with them.

As far as whether you're carlight, the generally accepted definition here doesn't involve number of miles driven. Here, the working definition of carlight is that there is a car available in your household, but you don't regularly use it for your personal transportation.

"Think Outside the Cage"