Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 11-14-11, 09:46 AM
rickybails

Bikes: Brompton, Xootr Swift, Scott Spark, Giant Anthem, Yeti AS-R, Dahon Helios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
On a bike with a more standard seatpost slot one could get a "setback" seatpost, but I don't think that's an option for the Swift. Am I wrong?

I saw a post somewhere by jur saying that he filed down the clamp to enable the narrow rails to slide in a bit further. I may resort to that but wanted to check on other options first.
I think the standard seatpost is already a layback one - but seatposts that fit Dahon folders also fit the swift so if there's a Dahon that doesn't use the I-beam saddles then that might work. Swift seat tube angle is more rearward than a regular bike, so do you really need the saddle that far back to get the ideal saddle-BB? Or is the problem that there is not enough reach to the handlebars, in which case you should be fitting a longer stem and pushing the bars further forward. If you really do need the saddle further back for your comfort and/or pedalling position and not the bars forward then fitting longer cranks might help - that would move the foot forward in relation to the saddle at the downstroke. There is a limit to how long you can go for your anatomy but there is a range of sizes that work for each person so make sure your cranks are at the long end of that range. Standard swift cranks are 170mm. Mark Cavendish is relatively short and races on 175mm cranks and many taller riders race on 180, 185 in TT and pursuits where they are looking to maximise pedalling efficiency. My problem has always been not getting the saddle far enough forward, and on that note....

I filed away at my seatpost clamp to increase the adjustment of the saddle along the rail. I did it to get it further forward but you could do the same at the other end. There was no adverse affects to filing it away - you need to make sure you're no creating a much smaller pressure point than there is already.