View Single Post
Old 11-15-11, 11:14 PM
freighttraininguphill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I've made some changes and additions to my camera lineup since I last posted in this thread.

First, I got a 32 GB Class 10 memory card for my ContourHD. It works great, much faster than the 16 GB Class 4 I was using before. The only quirk is that the memory card status light is always red, no matter what. This is a known issue with 32 GB memory cards and many people have reported the same problem, yet Contour has not released a firmware update to address the issue.

Last week, I got the new Contour Flex Strap Mount, which I wrapped around my head tube for last weekend's ride in the hills. It worked great! The video was much smoother than my handlebar or helmet mount videos. You can see for yourself here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyUBIrmTc8E

Yesterday, I took a ride to REI and picked up two clearance model cameras-the Midland XTC-100 and the GoPro HD Hero 960. They were $63.93 and $149.95 respectively. I bought the last ones they had.

The Midland records in SD 640x480 30fps. The quality can't compare to the lowest resolution setting on my Contour, but it's passable for random and non-critical footage. I like the small size and the fact that it takes 2 AAA batteries. I got two 4-packs of low-discharge Lenmar rechargeables (similar to Eneloops) for $7.99 each at Fry's Electronics. I already had a couple brand new ones laying around from an earlier purchase, so I charged them up and got at least 2 hours of recording time. Now I have 8 more of those batteries since they worked so well.

The camera comes with handlebar and helmet mounts and two other mounts. The handlebar mount was crap. It never stayed in place, and rolling shutter was more pronounced due to shakiness in the mount. The camera's tripod hole is not deep enough to use a different mount with a standard tripod screw like my Manfrotto Super Clamp, so I bought a small rubber washer from the hardware store and put it over the screw between the Manfrotto mount and the camera. The Manfrotto and the right-angle ball mount I have on it (to keep the camera pointed in the right direction) are made of alloy and brass, so there are no loosening or flex issues that can cause rolling shutter.

Here's a short test video from the Midland. I caught up to a guy riding his BMX bike on a flat rear tire, so I decided to use that footage since that was the only semi-interesting thing I saw today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDlr2Pj53A

I will test the GoPro tomorrow. I plan on mounting it to the seatstay facing the rear.

I'm going to use the Contour on my helmet and the GoPro on the bike's frame, since frame mounting seems to produce the smoothest video.

Here's the two new cameras, plus the crappy Midland handlebar mount. You can see the tripod adapter on the GoPro, which will allow me to use it on the Manfrotto mount or my Pedco UltraClamp. I refuse to buy the stock GoPro handlebar mount. I have read posts on this forum from other cyclists that mentioned the mount breaking off suddenly, sending the camera crashing to the pavement. No thanks!