View Single Post
Old 11-19-11, 09:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Now, Jim. It is quite obvious you are trying to flatter your way out of hosting a forum ride. The location poll clearly indicated the East Coast forum members are in favor of a NEW ENGLAND ride…

Save your silver tongue for the gullible.
Originally Posted by irwin7638
… this thread [4th annual 50+ group ride] moved into a poll which indicated interest in rides in the Natchez Trace area of Tennessee, San Diego and New England. I was able to locate an organized ride near Nashville on June 2nd that has a good number enthused…
I haven't heard about any developments in the other areas. But that's where we are at this point.

Marc

Originally Posted by miss kenton
I think throwing in suggestions and then creating a poll is a great idea. I'll throw mine in, though I'll leave it vague to allow the most options: New England…Okay, I'll be more specific: New England, but not in January.
I’m still keeping an open mind about New England, but I think it’s still pretty early to plan. A ride here would certainly save me travel time, and I could bump up my streak of consecutive Annual 50+ Rides to number three. Before I would commit to scheduling that time off from work to host, I’d like to get an idea of the interest in this locale. I think the major drawback is that this region would be more expensive than the Midwest for lodging in the summer.

I went back to the early posts during the planning for the Third Annual Ride seeking my quote below regarding dual venues. It was sad to see how many of the most enthusiastic respondents to the Ann Arbor ride had to drop out for serious personal reasons.

My post:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Seems like [the 3rd Annual Ride] may become an East Coast / Midwest / Southeast US event.

Going way off topic, if there are any science fiction fans reading this, I started to free-associate about the classic sci-fi trilogy of Foundation by Issac Asimov in which the great Hari Seldon [Irwin 7638] set up two Foundations at either end of the Galaxy. From Wikipedia:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The First Foundation [Tennessee], learning of the implications of the Second [New England], who will be the true inheritors of Seldon's promised future Empire [4th Annual Ride], greatly resents them - and seeks to find and destroy them, believing it can manage without them.
Are we of [New England] the valiant Second Foundation?