View Single Post
Old 11-21-11, 03:01 AM
Falanx
THE Materials Oracle

Bikes: Univega Alpina 5.1 that became a 5.9, that became a road bike... DMR TrailStar custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Hmmm....
Aaron_F says that bare aluminum doesn`t need to be covered, which is was I thinking on reading the first post, but three other people answered between the OP and Aaron and didn`t contradict the statement that leaving aluminum unpainted is bad. So, is it important to paint, coat, or annodize an aluminum bike frame? Or will it do just fine nekkit?
Originally Posted by Aaron_F
I bought a Gary Fisher SuperCaliber race frame in 1999, and stripped it the very next day. NEVER put anything on it but trail dirt, and retired it in 2009. Zero issues.

More pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/one9us/...th/3300917091/

I would be uncomfortable with an aluminium alloy frame in a high-strength aluminium alloy that were not in some way porotected. If I remember correctly the 1999 GF SC was 6000 series aluminium, no? Which is a) not a high strength alloy, b) a member of a family of alloys designed for precipitation hardening yet acceptable corrosion resistance. It doesn't suffer greatly from exfoliation like 7000 series, not pitting like 2000 series.