Old 11-02-02, 10:28 PM
RollingGeek
Donating member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Different Mens Health Issue Related to Cycling

Ok, before I begin, this is NOT related to all the hype, folklore, etc, that you hear about impotence and cycling.

I thought I would share a warning about a mens health issue caused Prostatitis. The reason I can bring it up here is that cycling while using a regular seat - ESPECIALLY if you are a large individual (like myself), can put undue pressure on the perineum which can in turn aggravate (note I did not say cause) the symptoms of prostatitis (mostly by mashing the perineum against the swollen prostate).

More information on prostatitis can be found here:

http://www.hendrickhealth.org/healthy/00062260.html

This is not a pleasant subject, and a bit embarrasing to bring up, but I just thought I would spread the warning of my urologist who told me that an easy way to avoid putting undue pressure on the perineum while cycling for long hours is to get a split seat saddle or one that relieves pressure from that area. Note again, that if you are a large person, you are even more at risk for aggravating this issue to the point where you may aggravate even a benign situation and start experiencing some of the wonderful and myriad symptoms of prostatitis.

For the record, my urologist never mentioned the 'I' word in connection with cycling.

Again, this is not the issue that Dr. Goldstein (spelling?) likes to hype so much, and has been bantered about here, this is a different issue, but just as relevant if you have this condition. My urologist told me that prostatitis was his 'common cold,' i.e. it was the most common complaint of patients that came to see him.

I bought a Specialzed Body Geometry seat (heh heh, good excuse ) and it seemed to work rather well for me.

Btw - I found out while talking to my urologist about cycling that Dr. Goldstein was a third year medical student of his. He told me he was the only person he ever heard Dr. Goldstein call 'Sir'.

Btw Again - Life sucks when you are thirty and you use the term 'my urologist'. Cripes, Depends Undergarments are next Hmmm, I wonder if they have chamois equipped versions......