Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Component choice for new tourer/commuter

I'm building up a 58 cm LHT frame into what will be my tourer and long commuter, but I'm struggling to decide on which components to use.

After extensive searching of the internet and these forums I still can't find any conclusive answers to the question of component choice. It seems that everyone has a different take on it without any real solid reasons or their reasons are limited by commercial interests.

I don't want to start a Shimano v Campagnolo war here, I have no preference for one over the other. In terms of spare parts both are equally available in big cities as both are equally unavailable in small towns here. After talking to a friend who has done several successfull builds, I'm leaning towards a Campag Centaur triple chainring 10 speed groupset but with Record bottom bracket and Record 36 spoke wheel hubs (he will be building the wheels for me). In terms of gearing I'm looking at a 30-42-52 chainring set with options on the smaller chainring to go down as low as a 24 if needed, and 13-29 casette.

The big questions on my mind are 1 - Are these gearing choices OK for loaded touring? 2 - Is the component choice OK? i.e. am I headed down the wrong road here? 3 - Will it work on this frame, as a long commuter bike and tourer? 4 - Am I even starting with the right frame for my intended use?

If it helps, I commute maybe 150 - 200 miles a week and plan on doing loaded touring trips which will be mostly 3 or 4 day long weekends with the ocassional 2 to 3 week major trip. Not planning on touring overseas for now.