Old 11-27-11, 01:06 PM
Rainer Dynszis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon Jetstream EX: Frame slightly bent. Return it?

Yesterday evening I noticed (rather: was alerted by my eagle-eyed wife) that the main tube of my new Dahon Jetstream EX looks a bit odd.

The reason is that the main tube in front of the hinge is very, very slightly bent to the left, banana shaped if you will, when you look from the top.

You hardly see it with the naked eye, but the reflections in the hi-gloss coat show that the tube has a concave area, and when you hold a ruler to the left side of the tube, it will touch the tube in two different places, with a gap inbetween that is some 1/32" wide. It touches the right side of the tube only at one single point, because the right side is perfectly convex.

There are also (hardly visible) circular tool marks under the paint, so my hypothesis at this point is: The hinge was possibly welded to the tube at a slightly wrong angle, so they bent the tube afterwards to "rectify" the situation.

I can return the bike to the dealer for a full refund. My question to you is: Would you return the bike, or would you accept its slight (?) imperfection without feeling the least bit annoyed?

Thanks for your time and opinions