View Single Post
Old 11-27-11, 11:41 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
I would assume that might depend on your environment but I have parts have have been polished for over a year and are still shiny. Time will tell I suppose. I don't have an enviromental chamber .

Mother's doesn't mention any kind of protective coating but Blue Magic does which is one reason I end with it. Whther that's true or not I don't know.

What I do know is this. Once a part has been brought to this condition even if it does oxidize a bit it could be made shiny again in very short order with a quick polish. The time investment is in the flaw removal and all the smoothing. Once polished REpolishing is easy.
ive been using mothers polish which i would agree doesnt have any protectant but i have tried using automotive wax to help prolong the shine. after about a year most of these parts still have a mirror finish. i do have one stem that i polished quite a while ago that i went back and "touched up". it took about 45 seconds with a rag and mothers polish.

i hear 7000 series aluminum oxidizes faster than 6000 but i have no factual data to back it up.