View Single Post
Old 11-28-11, 08:47 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rattosecond
I own a Dahon X10 and MuP8 but need something that I can bring to overseas trips to hilly cities.

When I am not travelling I would occasionally ride fast 25-33kph and bike to work everyday (not hilly) though not bi-modal I would like to have an option to fold it up quickly.

Im sure this is a Bike Friday I am looking for but not sure which model. Please help me determine the model and also recommend the specifications (capreo, handlebar etc) that would fit my requirements too.
Relative to Dahons, the only Bike Friday that folds "quickly" IMO is that tikit.

You should use the handlebars that are most comfortable for you. Any can be set up for fast riding; but I like bars with lots of curves and generally use drop bars for longer rides.

I'd go with ...

Capreo cassette
Dual chainring, 52/39

... this gives you something like 25-97 gear inches with good shifting up front and rear

I'd go with a high quality wide tire ... Vik's suggestion of the Scorcher is excellent

I'd also carry loads on the front wheel since the extra weight improves steering with a low trail bike, IME.