Old 11-28-11, 11:45 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
Whatever, I chuckled. Do you understand that the satirist is likely a cyclist, pointing out the ridiculousness of the belief that cyclists belong on the sidewalk and those who ride on the road are getting what's coming to them?
I wouldn't be so sure. I've heard worse rhetoric in all seriousness from my coworkers.

One gem, right before I stopped talking to them, was this rant (paraphrased as best as I can remember):

Coworker 1: "Hey, did you ride into work today?"
Me: "Yeah, made good time despite the rain, so it was a good ride."
Coworker 1: "You didn't look too happy when you came in earlier"
Me: "Yeah, almost got hooked by some a**hole, he decided to pass me and turn right even though I was in the lane. I don't understand why people are in such a hurry to save a few seconds that they'll lose at the next light anyhow."
Coworker 1: "Too dangerous for me. I could never do that."
Coworker 2: "You know, I can't f***ing stand cyclists. It's disgusting how if you accidentally run one over, you'll probably get in trouble. I can't stand having to always look around for them. The pansy-a** liberals in this country have taken over everything and won't stop until driving a car is illegal."
Coworker 3: "If I saw someone run over a cyclist, I'd stop and wait for the police to arrive. You know what I'd do?"
Coworker 2: "What's that?"
Coworker 3: "I'd take the drivers side, lie to the police and say the cyclist was at fault. I'd run over his bike a few times for good measure too, make sure he thinks real long and hard about ever getting on one again."
Me: *fuming, barely able to contain myself* "What the hell did I ever do to you guys?"
Coworker 3: "You wasted my time."

I got up and walked away and decided to never converse with them again. Luckily I'm not on their team so it's easy to avoid them, but jesus. They've given me **** before, too, but nothing on that level, so I always just avoided the subject unless they brought it up. Were they trying to get a rise out of me? Probably. Would he actually do that? I have no idea. Maybe not. But there are people out there who really say these things and really believe these awful things. I really would not put it past someone to seriously create this page in earnestness, not satire.