KinetikBiker
Dig.

Bikes: FTW, Gunnar Roadie, Open U.P, Gunnar Rock Hound, S&M CCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Race/Trails bike

I recently went to my local track (link at bottom) and watch a race series or some race that they had going on. It looked like alot of fun and my parents asked me if a wanted to get into racing, so this Wednesday me and some of my freinds are going back to the track to ride and fool around. Ive always wanted to race and now have the opportunity, the only experence ive had was that behind my old townhouse in MD there was a little race track that me and some of my friends had built and would try to race eachother on, i was pretty good and always enjoyed racing on that little track...

Now to the question...If i end up liking the race track and want to get involved and start racing...WHAT DO I KNEED TO DO?

My bike follows all rules and regulations EXCEPT the pads for my bars, toptube and stem, but it weighs in at like 29-30 pounds, and seeing as how the racers that i know have bikes that are 25-29ish my bike is a tank...

now if i get into racing is there a way that i can build up a bike that i can use for the track, and for trails and possibly some park?

heres my idea for my "race/trails/a little park bike"

Frame:S&M stricker
Fork: ODyssey race
Stem: S&M redneck Lt
Bars: Odssey Civilian or S&M Slams (i think the slams are better for racing, but i dont know)
Headset: Solid
Grips: S&M
Bar ends: (plastic stock S&M)
Cranks: Primo Hollowbites 175mm (maybe with Ti spindle)(id eventually get Profiles if i REALLY got good at racing)
Pedals: i was think Wellgo MG-1's would be good for racing...(not clipping in!)
Sprocket: either the FBM race or Profile...(i need help with ratios too...)
Chain: KMC 510
Front tire: Maxxis HOly roller 1.95
Back tire: maxxis Holy roller 1.75
Rims: 36H Sun Rhynolites
Front hub: Odyssey Vandero
Rear hub: Odyssey cassete with Ti spindle
Spokes: either PRimo or Ti
Brakes: Primo E-brake
Cable: Ody linear
LEver: Ody trigger monolever
seat: Primo Balance (have it right now) or Shadow
seatpost: Shadow monster or Ody intac
seatpost clam: premium
TT length 21"

This is what i had in mind, if i get into it...but is that bike good for racing trails and a little park?

also what gear ratios do racers use besides 44-16....i think i saw some 36-13 the other day at the track...what do you guys recomend?
also how does the whole catogory thing work...Im 14 and have never raced before and the track is part of the NBL so like what am i expert, novice or what? the whole thing confuses me...

thanks

-taylor