View Single Post
Old 12-05-11, 08:24 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by FastRod
I'm sixteen years old and own a 600 Aus dollar bike ( this is relevant ) I do not make money and rely on my parent's to fund for my hobby/sport.
Step one: develop an income. I started mowing lawns at age 12, and by 15, was washing dishes in a restaurant. I funded all of my hobbies.

And you should be looking at a used bike stand. But with a fleet of just one bike, not worth it regardless.

Biking does not need to be expensive. With some entrepreneurial efforts, you could develop a nice bike hobby/business. Bicycles have been self funding for me for many years.

+1 Cost relative to bike cost is meaningless. My current work stand cost more used than most of the bikes I work on, and new, it cost more than any bike I have ever owned. But I use it enough, work on a couple of bikes a week, that it has paid for itself many, many times. But I started with a much cheaper used work stand. Took me a while to work up to this one.

One nice thing about buying used is that if you buy right, you should be able to resell it later if you want to move up to a better stand, or get out of working on bikes. New stands lose about half their value the moment you pay for them. I have bought and sold several stands over the years as I moved up to nicer work stands. I made money or at least broke even on every one of them.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-05-11 at 08:28 AM.